Prism/WAF - For my project

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hi, 

I came across this framework and find it quite light weighted and neatly structured.

but my questions is more of which framework do I adapt. our's is an enterprise application. the UI's are simple. not complex UIs. but the functionality that takes place behind the scenes are massive. UI needs to be responsive enough. 

What would you advice? Prism or WAF? i'm inclined for latter one as our project would never be hosted in silverlight. it's purely wpf. we have roughly 5 modules hosted under one client. each one handling huge amount of data.

Kavya

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Thank you for your feedback.

I can’t answer your question (if I do it would be affected by my own work :-).

What I can tell is that WAF is designed from the beginning for enterprise applications. I believe the main advantages are:

1. WAF focuses on WPF and doesn’t try to support every technology (e.g. Silverlight, Metro Apps). This way I can optimize the library for WPF/.NET.

2. WAF is very lightweight. I believe this is an important point for enterprise applications because they have often a long maintenance period.

3. It supports a clean architecture which scales up to huge desktop applications (layering, modularization).
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I think I just wanted to hear from an expert. :)

I think I've my answer. we are never going to host on silverlight. for very strong business requirements.

your second point made my life easier. Yes. i dived into waf more deeply last week. and indeed found that it's very neatly structured and easy to understand for someone like me.

Many thanks

Kavya