This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Future support for .NET 4.0

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Hi,
First of all congrats for the fantastic work on the WAF framework. I'm using it in my newest project and I'm loving it! ;-)

For the comments in the new 3.x version betas, it seems that the support for NET 4.0 is going to be dropped because .NET 4.5 has by default some of the features that WAF implements in the current stable version.

I'd like to say that althought .NET 4.5 is fantastic, the lack of support for Windows XP is a problem for targeting the big audience with a commercial .NET project. This is why I'd like to ask the main developers, if possible, to maintain a parallel branch with support for .NET 4.0 but adding the fixes and new functionality that will be implemented in the next 3.x versions. Hope this is possible.

Thanks for all your great work!
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

I understand that the lack of Windows XP support in .NET 4.5 is a serious issue for a lot projects. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to maintain two different versions of WAF (one for .NET 4.5 and one for .NET 4.0). WAF 3.0 is going to require .NET 4.5 as target platform.

However, the current stable version 2.5 is a great release and I’m sure it will be in use for a lot of years. Bug fixing will be done for the 2.5 release.